If you live in a cold climate, you can expect your fair share of snow this time of year. Here are some winter driving tips to keep you safe on the road:
- Drive slower than you normally would and leave extra space between your car and the car in front of you.
- When braking, brake gently to avoid skidding. If you feel your wheels start to lock up, ease your pressure off of the brake.
- The snow can reduce visibility. To combat this problem, drive with your lights on – even in the daytime. Also make sure that your headlights and windshield are free of snow and ice.
- Bridges, overpasses, and back roads can be especially icy. Use extra caution when traveling on these.
- Don’t use cruise control when driving on snowy or icy roads.
- If you get stuck, avoid spinning your wheels as this will only get you ‘more stuck.’ If you have some kitty litter or sand, pour it into the path of your wheels. Using a light touch on your accelerator, gently ease your car out of the tracks.